Certification of a binding financial agreement by a lawyer is not simply a matter of "witnessing a signature".
Proper independent legal advice must be given over and above the advice which normally accompanies advice on the meaning and effect of a document being executed by a client.
Greg Finlayson will undertake this work, but it is not perfunctory.
The work to be undertaken will involve:
- Placing funds in trust.
- A conflict of interest check.
- Signing a specific retainer agreement.
- Providing a copy of the proposed binding financial agreement.
- An attendance with the client ensuring the client understands the meaning and effect of the document.
- Testing the client's understanding of the document against a range of possible future scenarios.
- Due diligence against duress or undue influence
- A fee for the advice.
- A fee for certification.